Monday, November 8, 2010

Persistence

I know I haven’t written in a very long time, but I guess now is as good of a time as any. I am going to try to do this more often.

I am so thankful for many of the Lord’s qualities: faithfulness, authenticity, loving, compassionate. I am sure that I could keep going, but I think you get the point. However, I think on of the Lord’s qualities that I am most thankful for is persistence. I don’t think that people discuss the Lord’ persistence as much as many of His other qualities. And that may be in part because it flows out of many of his other qualities (i.e. loving, patient). However, I think we often take it for granted.

How often do we turn from the Lord? How often do we go do our own thing, only to realize when things get bad that we need to run back to the Him for shelter? Amazingly, He is always there, and always will be there. And I think that is one of the most important characteristics of the Lord. Even though we continually turn our backs on Him and walk away, He will never stop pursuing us. And thank the Lord for that.

Persist is defined as “to hold firmly and steadfastly to a purpose, state or undertaking despite obstacles, warnings, or setbacks.” That definition is exactly the way the Lord pursues intimacy with us. Despite obstacles, warnings, and setbacks, He holds firmly and steadfastly to the pursuit of a relationship with his children. Examples of this quality can be found throughout the Bible. However, we often have to look a little closer.

In Luke 15, Jesus tells the parable of the lost sheep, and how he will leave the ninety-nine and go after the one that is lost until he finds it. The amazing thing about that is, he will continue to go after that lost sheep no matter how many times it wanders off, because “there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance.” This sentiment is echoed in Ezekiel 34:12 where it says, “As a shepherd seeks out his flock when he is among his sheep that have been scattered, so will I seek out my sheep, and I will rescue them from all places where they have been scattered on a day of clouds and thick darkness.” You’d think the Lord would eventually get tired of seeking out this lost sheep, yet he is the Master of Persistence.

Every one of us has heard the verse, “Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.” Revelation 3:20. First of all, I love that verse. It is so true of our relationship with the Lord. He has done all the work; we just have to open the door. However, I think one thing continually gets overlooked in that verse. He’s not going to stop knocking. No matter how many times you hear the knock, and hear his voice call and ignore it because you’ve got something else you’re more concerned with, he’s still going to be there knocking, waiting for you to open the door, to embrace the life and relationship He has for you. If someone we loved continually turned our back on us, the way we turned out back on Him, we would give up. Yet, He continues to pursue us, despite obstacles, warnings, and setbacks, because He’s persistent.

Thank you Lord for never giving up on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment